Rats are a worldwide pest, due to their capability to cause structural damage and competition with humans for food. They also spread life threatening diseases such as; Weil's disease, Hantavirus Syndrome, Murine Typhus, Salmonella, E Coli, Tuberculosis and Rat Bite Fever.
The brown rat breeds throughout the year if conditions are suitable, with female rats producing up to 7 litters per year with a gestation period of 21 days and litter numbers can be up to 14. They reach sexual maturity in 5-9 weeks and are also known to carry lice, fleas and ticks.
Here is a list of signs that a Rat might live:
- A mould smell that is similar to drainage.
- Rat droppings usually as clusters.
- Scratching noises under floorboards as rats run around.
- Damaged food packaging.
- Footprints and tailmarks.
- A brown rat can weigh on average 350 grams and can grow up to 18 inches long including the tail length.
- They have a well developed sense of touch and smell.
- Brown rats live in any environment that supplies food, water or shelter.
If you have a Rat problem, feel free to get in touch or fill out the form below for a free quote. Don't forget to mention any signs you have been experiencing.